there is so much to write about shiitake mushrooms…i almost don’t want to get into this post…in fear that i will still be sitting at my computer after 6 hours of research and excitement going into the greatest depth of the fungi’s medicinal qualities.
instead of fearful procrastination, i have simply created this “Part 1” of my loving ode to the fungi lentinula edodes, commonly referred to as shiitake mushroom, leaving an indefinate number of posts obsessing over this wonderous creature to follow.
(so now, a few amazing nutritional properties of this healthy jam packed medicinal mushroom, and a fabulously easy recipe to follow)
why do i love shiitake so much?:
- shiitakes have four to ten times the flavor of common white button mushrooms (bam)
- shiitakes provide high levels of protein (18%)
- niacin and B vitamins
- magnesium and phosphorus
- they have natural antiviral and immunity-boosting properties and are used nutritionally to fight viruses, lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure.
- lentinan, an immunostimulant derived from shiitakes, has been used to treat cancer, AIDS, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibrocystic breast disease, and other conditions with impressive results.
- the basis of the shiitake’s impressive health properties are complex carbohydrates called polysaccharides that build and stimulate the immune system.
…what? right? now you see the cause for my obsession.
they are so full of health! and vitality! and vitamins and minerals who work so well to support each other! they are cute! and grow outside! and taste like bacon!
oh, yea. i ❤ love ❤ bacon. so much. but never eat it because i know its not great for me, and i feel morally sad about it…but i will stop for a solid few minutes when walking by a greasy diner to allow the aroma of cooking bacon to fill me up, leaving me drooling like a little pup.
but thanks to Heather, my boss and friend and fellow holistic nutrition junkie at Sweet Freedom Bakery, i now posses a way of turning water into wine. i mean, shiitake into bacon tasting treats!
i know you are skeptical, i was too. how could it be? the fabulous, rich, greasy taste of bacon, in a tiny little healthy packed piece of fungi? trust, my friends, trust and you will be so happy you did.
Bacon Tastin’ Shiitake
(as told by Heather)
*pre-heat your oven to 375* F
- fresh shiitake mushrooms (i bought them in bulk at a reasonable price at whole foods)
- olive oil
- thinly slick your shiitake with a sharp knife
- lightly toss them in olive oil
- sprinkle sea salt
- spread them out on an un-greased baking sheet. be careful to not overlap or crowd them
- bake about 30 min, turning halfway if you like. *they will shrink
- allow to cool, and sprinkle on salads, with avocado on toast, with roasted broccoli/greens, or just pop them like a little treat!
hope you enjoy! and congrats to Jordan G! our winner from our giveaway last week! i hope you and Henrietta have a long and lovely life together 🙂
be well, friends! xo